Building and Environment practice

Just tossing up a few drawings from some environment practice - some of the compositions were inspired by other art/photos to try different angles and shots.


From my last batch of building thumbs I painted this little pump station of some kind - tackled it with lots of energy, used a few photo elements mainly to find new shapes and ideas but mostly painted.  I ended up liking how bold the original round shape was and the texture that came out so I tried to not overwork it.  While not overly engrossing, it was fun to work from such a loose thumbnail and theme to just see what comes out.


Comments

  1. i love the colors in the bottom one, good use of hues and nice to see some texture detail on the main ball.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the first image I think it would have been a lot more interesting if the shot was taken from below. It would make the building appear much taller and far less static. I don't really understand whats going on in the background either. The design of the building itself doesn't seem that interesting. What purpose does it serve? I think you should use more photo reference and study existing architecture. I also own one of the books where the top right thumbnail was 'inspired' from. It looks far too similar to original.

    for the last image, it has atmosphere but it doesn't feel all that believable. I think having a person/people in there would have been good for scale and a sense of life as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback.

    Some good points. For the most part with these sketches they were very casual, so yes there wasn't a lot of strategy into planning the thumbnail. Not much specific design going on yet past testing the waters.

    In my opinion, even if I had straight up copied an image from the Skillful Huntsman, it's just a drawing...I wouldn't see any harm in that so I'm not sure why its being criticized.

    A figure would totally add more to that last one for sure. Otherwise I'm not sure in what sense it doesn't feel like a real place...however a figure more often than not seems to add that nice extra depth to a world, unless of course it's abandoned or with purpose.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment